Planting & Maintenance Guide for a New Lawn or Pasture
- Remove old vegetation to prepare a clean seed bed.
- Lawns: use a De-Thatcher, Power Rake or Rota Tiller to kill/remove existing vegetation and prepare a clean seed bed.
- Pastures: use disc, Rota Tiller, Power Rake or any means to kill/remove existing vegetation and prepare a clean seedbed.
- Drag area to loosen and level any hard or uneven spots if needed.
- Apply fertilizer at 5 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. for lawns or 250 lbs. per acre for pastures.
- Apply seed at 5-10 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft for lawns or 50-100 lbs. per acre for pastures.
- Drag, rake or roll to lightly cover the seed not deeper than 1/4 - 1/2 inch.
- Apply lawn irrigation for 30 minutes each evening until soil is damp and germination has occurred.
- Irrigate newly seeded lawns every other day until the grass reaches six inches.
- After the grass reaches six inches in height water three times a week if needed.
- Reapply fertilizer at 5 lbs per 1000 sq. ft. for lawns or 250 lbs. per acre at three months of age.
- Keep the grass mowed at 3-6 inches during the establishment process for lawns or 6-10 inches for pasture.
Apply 5-10 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.
Apply 50-100 lbs. per acre.
- Overseed lawn areas at 2-5 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.
- Overseed pastures at 20-30 lbs. per acre.
- Mow at 3-5 inches regularly.
- Fertilize with 2-3 lbs. per 1000 square feet three times a year.
- Irrigate established lawns during extreme dry spells.
- Over seed with annual rye grass in October for winter coverage.
- Mow at 6-10 inches when needed.
- Fertilize with 250 lbs. per acre three times per year.
Hancock Farm& Seed Company
Hancock Farm and Seed Company is a family owned, state licensed, wholesale distributor of all types of grass seed for residential, commercial and agricultural use. We have been a grower, harvester, processor and distributor of lawn, pasture and wildlife seed in the state of Florida for the past thirty years. Our mission is to provide the highest quality grass seed available direct from the farm to the consumer.
Hancock’s Warranty Clause:
Hancock Seed Co. Warrants to the extent of the purchase price that seeds sold are as described on the seed analysis, within recognized tolerance. No further warranty expressed or implied. There is no warranty given to the performance of the seedlings after germination. Florida and other southern states require as a prerequisite to maintaining a legal action based upon the failure of above listed seed to germinate according to seed analysis, sworn complaint shall be made to the Florida Dept. of Agriculture within such time as to permit inspection of the plants, accompanied by the required filing fee of $10.00 and a copy of the complaint shall be sent to the seller by certified mail in accordance with section 678.26 Florida Statutes. General Authority 578.11 (2), FS Law Imp. 578.26, FS History 10-1-1983.
Hancock Farm & Seed Co., Inc.
18724 Hancock Farm Rd.
Dade City, FL 33523